A homey beef stew with an Eastern European flair. It's one of my favorite specialty entrees
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 T oil
- 2 lbs chuck or round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 T sweet paprika may use part hot paprika to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes Cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 medium carrot Cut into bite sized chunks
- 2/3 cup uncooked egg noodles
Sauté onion and green and red pepper in oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, about 5 minutes, until onion is pale golden; drain on paper toweling.
Add more oil to kettle if needed. Add meat to kettle and brown well over moderately high heat. Turn heat to low, add paprika, and stir 1-2 minutes. Return onion mixture to kettle. Add garlic, salt, pepper, beef broth, and vinegar.
Cover and simmer 1 ½ hours on low. Add potatoes and carrots; cook ten minutes. Add noodles; cook ten minutes. Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream on each serving.