Christmas is a season of smiles.
It’s a time to gather with family, eat yummy food, feel the joy of giving to those we love, and a chance to feed the creative muse within us as we lavish decorative touches throughout our homes. It’s a time to see the delight on a child’s face with their eyes all aglow at the beauty of Christmas.
Then December 26th comes. We take down the tree, put away the gifts, and stare with dismay at the bathroom scales. The only thing we seem to have lost is our smile.
Guess what. I have good news for you – of great joy, in fact. You can keep your smile. Here are seven facts about God that will keep you smiling throughout and beyond the Christmas season.
- God made a wonderful world. He made the majestic Milky Way, the towering Ponderosas, the wondrous color of Autumn, the predictable law of gravity. Even something as common as water, He constructed so stable, it is versatile for many of our daily needs. And what He has made is very good – He said so Himself (Genesis 1:1,31).
- He protects us from danger. Sometimes we get a glimpse of His protection, but I suspect there are many other times we don’t even see the magnitude of His watchcare over us. Nothing will happen that He won’t allow or that He can’t get us out of (Psalm 32:7).
- He shows us how to live life. I find myself most unhappy when I don’t know how to respond in my relationships, especially when someone treats me badly. Daily I see unhappy people who have no clue of how to untangle themselves from the mess they’ve made of their lives. But through God’s Word, the Bible, God tells us how to live life. Jeremiah 7:23 tells us that life will go well when we do life God’s way. You can count on God’s promise in Psalm 32:8 – He will counsel you on the way you should go.
- He is with us always. No matter how bad life gets, God will always, always be with you. Things are easier to bear when someone shares the sorrow and walks the road with you. Relyon God to stay with you through anything (Matthew 28:20).
- He will forgive you. He already has. He doesn’t just say He forgives. He showed His forgiveness by doing something about your bad choices – He gave His Son Jesus to take the punishment you deserve. If you admit you’ve blown it, He’ll forgive you (1 John 1:9). And He won’t stop forgiving you.
- He will provide your needs. He will. Every day, He will make sure you have what you need – and it’s based on His riches, which never run out (Philippians 4:19).
- He has promised life with Him forever. Wow! You don’t have to fear death. All the emotional baggage and physical pain of this life will one day be wiped away. You can live with him forever (1 Thessalonians 4:17).
Christmas, birthdays, or family visits will come to an end. The happiness of those times will fade with the event. But when you wake up tomorrow, these seven facts about God will still be true. Tomorrow and the next day and the day after that.
The angel told the shepherds that he was bringing them good news of great joy – a Savior would be born who would be for all people. That message doesn’t change. Jesus came. And He is still here. Better yet, He is coming again in His physical form to take all those who love him home to be with Him.
That makes me smile!
You don’t have to lose your smile after Christmas. Tweet this
Leave a Reply